When
the Federal Reserve lowers interest rates, this encourages people to
spend, rather than save. Earning 1% on your savings simply isn't very
exciting. During an inflationary period, 15% might not be very
exciting. The alternative is to spend. Not only do people spend what
they have. Low interest rates encourage them to buy on credit.
The
combination of increased consumer demand and low interest rates
encourage businesses to borrow, in order to meet that demand. This
puts more money in the hands of both employees and investors, who
naturally tend to spend rather than save.
On
the surface, this sounds very pleasant. Jobs are plentiful. Profits
are increasing. Everybody's happy. But how does the Fed lower
interest rates? It accomplishes that primarily by purchasing treasury
bills, and paying for them with money it created out of thin air. The
more dollars we have in circulation, the less each dollar is worth.
This phenomenon is known as inflation. It amounts to an across the
board pay cut. In an inflationary environment, you might find
yourself increasingly impoverished each year, even though your wages
continue to increase.
I
agree with those economists who argue that a small consistent rate of
inflation isn't necessarily a bad thing. In a stable market, the
prices of various commodities can be expected to rise and fall. The
market price of labor can also be expected to rise and fall. People
tend to be much more agreeable to their grocery bills going up, than
to their pay being cut, even though the end result might be the same.
So, we'll just have these regular across the board pay cuts, and
allow employers to counter them by granting pay raises when
appropriate.
Though
current practice links the two together, it is the lowering of
interest rates, rather than the expansion of the money supply, which
leads to excess capacity. Excess capacity, in turn, leads to layoffs,
unemployment, and bankruptcies. The Fed can sometimes counter this,
by lowering interest rates. But at some point, doing so would result
in hyper-inflation, and a complete breakdown of the monetary system.
So they accept the pain of a recession, when it appears to be the
lesser of the two evils.
This
might be tolerable, if we could just accept that we are going to have
a recession every few years. Unfortunately, the amount of stimulus
needed to generate a recovery tends to increase over time. At some
point, we could be looking at a recession, even though interest rates
are near zero. That was the state of affairs just prior to the stock
market crash of 1929. It is also what we are facing today.
What
can we do about this excess capacity? We can utilize it, by expanding
government programs, such as welfare. We can put a lot of people to
work with a massive program of infrastructure improvements. We can
start a war. War does not create prosperity. But it can increase
employment temporarily.
I
hope we can avoid World War III, though I can't say I am optimistic
about that. I do think it would be helpful to understand that
countries often go to war, not because they have no alternative, but
simply because they have nothing better to do with their resources.
As
for the other two possibilities, I believe there is much there that
is worth discussing. But I won't dwell on that now. The main point I
would make at this point is that neither of these approaches fully
addresses the problem. We need to stop creating excess capacity,
instead of merely looking for ways to siphon some of it off.
The
Fed could expand the money supply without lowering interest rates, by
purchasing gold, or any other commodity for that matter. The gold
standard was abandoned for good reason. I am not advocating its
return. However, I do believe gold offers the Fed a method of
expanding the money supply, without lowering interest rates. Instead
of setting interest rates, let the Fed regulate the price of gold, by
buying and selling it, rather than treasury bills, on the open
market.
By
purchasing treasury bills, the Fed also subsidizes the Federal
Government. Let's do away with the shell game. When Congress needs to
raise money, they can raise taxes, borrow, or levy the Federal
Reserve.
If
Congress takes too much from the Fed, the Fed will have no choice but
to raise the price of gold, to prevent its inventory from being
depleted. We will have inflation, and it will clearly be the fault of
Congress. If Congress borrows too much, they will drive interest
rates up, and dampen business expansion by competing with private
borrowers. And if they raise taxes, well, nobody likes to pay taxes.
People will continue to fight about these things, but I believe the
boom/bust cycle would come to an end.
There
is one other role I envision for the Fed. Though I believe it should
be illegal for the Fed to loan money to a bank, or to anyone else,
they could offer banks a nominal rate of interest on demand deposits.
So when you deposit money into your checking account, the bank
deposits that money into its checking account with the Fed.
Certificates of Deposit could work the same way. The bank could pool
all the money it collects for Certificates of Deposit, and deposits
it into a Certificate of Deposit it has with the Fed. The Fed offers
banks the same services that we want the banks to offer to their
consumers.
And
if you want to take out a mortgage, where will that money come from?
There will be no shortage of investors willing to part with their
money for thirty years, once interest rates are high enough to entice
them.
I
also think we should consider retiring the thirty year treasury bond,
and replacing it with a thirty year annuity. Rather than paying off
the principle at maturity, amortize it as we would amortize a
mortgage. That way, when the government borrows money, a significant
amount of the pain would be felt immediately, rather than 30 years
later. Annuities would also be more attractive to retirees and other
income oriented investors.
If
we do as I suggest, what is the likely short term result? We will
have a massive wave of layoffs and bankruptcies. That is going to
happen in any event. Rather than postponing a depression, and making
it worse in the long run, let's just dive into it.
Massive
unemployment does not have to mean starvation. I recommend expanding
the Food Stamp program, and simply giving everyone the maximum
allowance, with no means test. I don't have to prove that I can't
afford to buy my own books, in order to borrow from the local
library. We also have public schools. Let's just give everyone a food
allowance.
And
while we're at it, let's throw in a housing voucher. Currently, I
believe $100 a month per adult, and $50 per child, would be
reasonable. That isn't going to give you a real nice place to live.
But it will ensure that everyone has a roof over their head.
One
thing I do not think we should be doing is raising the minimum wage.
I would actually like to see it eliminated entirely. If the minimum
wage is $15 an hour, and a robot can do your job for $10 an hour,
where does that leave you? On the other hand, if everyone is
guaranteed the basic necessities for survival, the living wage
suddenly becomes a meaningless concept.
And
how are we going to fund all this generosity? Raise taxes, and I
don't mean just on the rich. Though the necessary tax increase would
be substantial, I believe the effect would be minimal. If your taxes
increase by $500 a month, and you receive $500 a month in benefits,
and we're talking about food and shelter, things you were going to
buy anyway, it's a wash. Some people would actually pay more than
they receive, while others would pay less. But I think it would be
doable.
But
what of the retiree whose $200,000 stock portfolio suddenly becomes
just so much worthless paper? If you find yourself in that position,
I'm sorry, but you are not going to starve. If the government
intervenes to prevent this from happening, like it or not, you are a
welfare recipient, but one who has the illusion of self sufficiency.
No comments:
Post a Comment