If you can't multiply 25 by 32 in your head, you don't need a calculator. You need to work on your math skills. I think it's outrageous that people who are unable to do simple arithmetic are often employed as cashiers.
I am not against technology. I use a spell checker with my word processor. But I have the auto correct turned off. If I misspell a word, and it wasn't just a typo, in addition to correcting the word, I insert it into my smartphone app that generates spelling tests that I will sometimes use to practice while waiting on a bus.
Rather than rely on technology as an excuse for stupidity, we can use it to make us smarter. And my approach to using a spell checker also prevents silly mistakes from being made by the spell checker itself, as it tries to guess what I meant to say.
As far as I am concerned, there is no legitimate place for an electronic calculator in an elementary school, unless of course we are talking about a child prodigy who is ready to tackle logarithms at the age of eight. I'm not saying we should bring back mechanical slide rules, and log and trig tables. But a calculator will cripple a child who is trying to learn arithmetic.
In its place, I would recommend the Japanese abacus. The citizens of many Asian countries tend to excel at math. And I believe that is largely due to the continued popularity of the abacus.
A skilled operator can add a large column of numbers more quickly with an abacus, than with an electronic calculator. And unlike the electronic calculator, regular use of an abacus can actually enhance your ability to do math in your head.
No comments:
Post a Comment