As
Israel continues its assault on Gaza, the Israelis say they are
merely defending themselves, against people who insist on firing
rockets into their territory. Why are the Palestinians firing rockets
into Israel? Supposedly, because they are intent on destroying
Israel. Is that not what Hamas' charter calls for?
Actually,
the Hamas charter calls for the dissolution of the Jewish state, a
reform that even some Jews might support. It says nothing about
killing Jews, or even expelling them from the land, which is how it
is often interpreted by Israel's supporters.
Why
are the Jews in Israel to begin with? Some Jews had lived in the area
since ancient times. But the modern state of Israel was created by
Jews from other parts of the world, who got the idea that they were
entitled to the land, because their ancestors lived there 2000 years
ago, ignoring the fact that it was conquered territory even then.
In
demanding that Israel's enemies acknowledge Israel's right to exist,
Israel seeks not merely an assurance that they are not about to be
attacked, but an acknowledgement that God gave that land to the Jews.
“Accept my religious beliefs, or I will kill you.”
Israelis
are fond of pointing out that, if the Arabs disarm, there will be
peace. But if the Jews disarm, they will be annihilated. That is
probably true. But what bandit couldn't make the same claim, once he
has the money in his possession?
I
can appreciate that no country can tolerate rockets being fired into
its territory. But the conditions imposed on the people of Gaza are
so onerous that their determination to fire rockets into Israel is
perfectly understandable. Given the blockade that Israel has imposed
on Gaza, if I was living there, I would be firing rockets into
Israel.
I
would no more advocate the expulsion of all Jews from Israel, than I
would return all of North America to the descendants of its original
inhabitants. But in Israel, the conquest was more recent, and
Palestinians continue to suffer the effects. Returning to the
Palestinians, everything that they lost, is not realistic. But I
believe they would be happy to settle for much less than that. When a
Palestinian child has the same opportunities as a Jewish child, I am
sure most Palestinians will be happy to relegate their displacement
to the history books.
I,
along with Hamas, advocate the dissolution of the Jewish state. I
further advocate its replacement with a secular state, which makes no
legal distinction between Jews and Arabs. I ask Jews, both within
Israel, and outside of it, to support that proposal. And I ask the
United States Congress to hasten an end to the bloodshed, by cutting
off all military aid to Israel. Until it does so, the United States
is funding genocide.
To
the people of Israel, if you really want a lasting peace, treat the
people of Gaza as you would treat Jewish refugees who had just
arrived in your country.
No comments:
Post a Comment